Monday, March 14, 2011

Charicature Portraits

The scrolls had our surnames written
on them, which I concealed for privacy reasons.

This most recent Christmas, my boss gave me a nifty double sided picture frame. The one side displays a single 5x7 photo and the other side display two 5x3.5 images. While it's not exactly something I would go out and purchase myself, I thought it was a cute gift and was excited at the prospect of putting pictures of me and my significant other in it. I placed the frame in a spot that was out of the way, but easily visible to anyone in the room.

Almost three months have passed and I'm still staring at the sickingly adorable perfect couple stock photo people. Sick of looking at the happy couple staring into each other's eyes while they lay on some grass, I decided the most infinately awesome thing to replace this with is the lovely portraits you see above you. Here's an (lame) account of my inspiration:



Last night my significant other put on the movie Gangs of New York seeing as it was on IFC and nothing better was on. We talked about the culture of the time and some aspects about the civil war that aren't broadcasted so much even in our history classes now. Being a military brat that grew up all along the Gulf Coast, I'm rather aware of the concept of interpretation even in history. We talked about racism in culture at the time. It was a light and pleasant conversation that added to our enjoyment of the movie afterwards we fell asleep.



Album artwork for The Crane Wife



Fastfoward to today, I'm sitting on my bed staring looking at the book for the CD The Crane Wife by The Decemberists. The cute portraits on the back of the CD jacket combined with the visual imagery floating in my head from the night, combined with my disdain for stock photos resulted in a mental roughdraft similiar to what came out on paper. Some measurements, x-acto action, and lots of carpel tunnel (I hate cross hatching and stippling) later, this is what I ended up with.

Our portraits sitting onto of the TV

Obviously nothing terribly original or creative, but it sure beats this:
Muahahah

No comments:

Post a Comment